Tuesday, February 14, 2012

It's not the age it's the mileage: Assassin's Creed Revelations 360

I can’t tell you what the plot is of Assassin’s Creed: Revelations. I know it is the completion of the sub-stories that have driven the original and its three sequels and that it staggers under the weight of its own mythology. I know that it confuses complication with complexity and has something to do with the assassins and templars and the memories of ancestors.

What I can tell you is that none of that matters. What I can tell you, is the story.

It is a story of methodical and rhythmic repetition. Prowling streets as a predator, slipping in and out of the relative shelter of a crowd and clambering up walls to sprint across rooftops. Plunging dives from vertiginous heights into the comforting embrace of safety. Hidden and sudden death, or clumsy and open only to flee attackers seeking just retribution.

The repetition is comforting, as I seek new victims to steal lives from, playing my part in this unending war of faith and fiction.

The story of Revelations is of addiction, my addiction to playing as a wolf among sheep. The familiar cycle of stealth and discovery, flight and finance as I bribe and kill my way out of notoriety.

Revelations ties up some plot without resolving anything, setting the stage for Assassin’s Creed 3. It treats the end of a life’s work with dignity and grace, imparting power even in the most feeble and restoring grace to a much maligned character.

If you love the world of Assassin’s Creed you will like Revelations.

No comments:

Post a Comment