Friday, January 28, 2011

Must Go Faster: Dead Space 2 (360)

I am halfway through and had to make myself stop playing because the tension in my body was becoming painful. My elbows had drawn in and up as I held the controller and unconsciously I was pulling myself tighter and tighter into a ball.

This is no small feat as I am no small man.

After a startling, thrilling spectacle of an opener, Dead Space 2 throws the player in deep and never ever lets up. Even in slow moments (there are no quiet moments as even near silence is punctuated by distant screams, labored breathing, or metal groaning against metal; the audio design is best of class) relentless tension is never completely released. Death is always a corner or a heartbeat away.

Dead Space 2 tweaks or eliminates all of the issues that plagued the first game, including a sly nod to one of the main criticisms turned on its head at or near the mid-point.

I can’t wait to finish this game. So far it is the most complete horror experience on the 360 ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment